[View as PDF]
Experienced engineer specialized in developer experience and distributed systems, with a focus on blending theory with pragmatism while embracing empathy.
Buzzword Bingo Technical Skills
- Linux (Debian, RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, NixOS, Amazon Linux), Kubernetes, Nomad, Docker, Terraform, Ansible, AWS, Packer
- GitLab CI/CD, GitHub Actions, Varnish, Git, React, NoSQL, PostgreSQL, Helm, ArgoCD, Tailscale, Atlantis, Okta, Open Telemetry
- Strong and attentive listener, empathetic, leads by example, attention to detail, passionate equity advocate
- Aug. 2022
Took on technical leadership of the infrastructure team. Focused on guiding the infrastructure of Seaplane, leveraging and monitoring tech choices and their implications, enabling other teams to execute on building out critical competencies for the platform, and maintaining and balancing flexibility as an early stage startup.
- Broke down communication silos within teams
- Mentoring reports in personal growth, sociotechnical growth, and professional goals
- Stabilized roadmap for critical novel infrastructure capabilities
- Rescoped infrastructure team to focus on core competencies and more effectively leverage existing industry practices
- Implemented plan for paying down existing tech debt and focusing on resilience engineering
- Built out and scaffolded multi environment GitOps terraform structure according to best practices
- Eden Health
- Sept. 2021–Aug. 2022
Took a leading role in prioritizing security related initiatives. Strong focus on improving the developer experience, design systems, and architecture.
- Developed an environment specification DSL in Nix in order to allow for rapid iteration and increased efficiency.
- Created a cross-platform codebase for a design system that worked across React and React Native, allowing for seamless collaboration between design, product, and engineering teams.
- Built out the infrastructure required to adopt a mesh VPN solution as part of implementing Zero Trust Networking.
- Implemented and deployed self-hosted package registries, enabling SBOM auditing, reducing CI failures, and doubling CI install speeds.
- Revamped developer on-boarding documentation and integrated a discoverable bootstrapping mechanism into projects, reduced on-boarding time by over 80% created future automation opportunities.
- Designed the approach to developer environments, and implemented change management across the engineering and product teams.
- Initiated and supervised vendor procurements to enable higher security, cost savings, and developer efficiency.
- Lead adaption of
open-telemetryin the front-end by demonstrating benefits, improving knowledge sharing, and delivering an internal talk on the results.
- Galois, Inc.
- Dec. 2019–Sept. 2021
Took a leading role in the build out of the DevOps team as its first member. Participated in contracts for the Department of Defense for transitionable R&D initiatives.
- Architected and implemented an internal platform on top of Kubernetes, using GitOps and NixOS for a fully auditable, reproducible, and maintainable system.
- Reduced CI/CD pipeline times from days to minutes, and reduced complexity by consolidating from 4+ CI systems to 1 CI system.
- Shortened FPGA development loop by days, and enabled automated testing of FPGA machines by designing and deploying a CI system, testsuite, and cross-project CI coordination.
- Created development environments, CI/CD pipelines, and optimized releases for projects across a wide range of environments, from secure enclaves, to FPGAs, to cloud deployments.
- Enabled the shipping of modern development tooling into a highly isolated system by creating a fully self-bootstrapping environment suitable for non-privileged HPC-like systems.
Sr. Web Developer
- 503 Collective
- March 2019–Nov. 2019
Working in a startup environment, I lead initiatives related to improving every aspect of client and internal focused efforts and communication.
- Built and maintained a comprehensive design system, saving weeks of developer time.
- Fully restructured the codebase into a true monorepo, reducing build times by over 50%, and eliminating phantom code transpilation errors.
- Built a backend capable of self-healing ingestion of data from a slow internal API, increasing site responsiveness by over 90%.
- Implemented CI and reproducible developer environments, including for mobile development.
- Optimized server caching and improved peak traffic load capabilities by over 20x.
- Reduced average page load over 50%.
Community & Activities
- I am a member of the Haskell Foundation’s Board of Directors. (2023–Present)
- I created and maintain the official Haskell setup action for GitHub Actions to make using Haskell in GitHub’s CI easier.
- I help run the Hachyderm Mastodon instance and am fondly known as the Infrastructure Witch of Hachyderm.
- I have presented several talks which can be found on my website
- Portland State University
- B.S. in Computer Science.